Key To Music Grades

A - You will never be whole without it
B - Highly recommended
C - Flawed, but still pretty good
D - It's your money, not mine
F - Why couldn't this have been burned in Fahrenheit 451?

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Warchild, Morgan Memorial Park, August 30, 2009













Today is Tuesday, and on this particular Tuesday you get a twofer. Whether you would have gotten lesser or equal value if I had just written one longer review is beyond my mental pay-grade. For some background, Warchild is a Jethro Tull tribute band from New York who replicates the sound and look of the original Jethro Tull circa 1970 or thereabouts; the lead singer/flautist dressed and looked somewhat similar to Ian Anderson, but his eerily similar voice, his excellent flute playing and his spot-on impressions of Anderson's physical stage mannerisms are what really sealed the deal. The rest of the band was equally note-for-note in regards to Tull's catalog, and overall, despite the wind problems completely fucking some of the sound, I was pretty impressed. The two hour set, in no apparent order, pardon my memory, consisted of: "Aqualung," "Teacher," "Locomotive Breath," "Cross-Eyed Mary," "Thick As A Brick," "Living In The Past," "Bourée," "Sweet Dream," "Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of A New Day," "Bungle In The Jungle," "Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll, Too Young To Die," "Nothing Is Easy," "Minstrel In The Gallery," "War Child," and a whole bevy of other tunes, some of which even I didn't recognize. And yes, they did "Thick As A Brick," but no, it was only a partial. Fucking righteous enough for me. B-

3 comments:

Cinnamon Girl said...

I don't like JT enough to do a cover band. I blame my childhood hippy upbringing on Rock Flute Burnout.

TeXX said...

I, being at the same show, cannot agree with you sir. Now, I can say that I have never been a big Tull fan, but this show kinda dragged. yes he did sound like Anderson, and yes he had similar moves, but if I were a member of the Tull and saw this performance, I would not be honored.

Anonymous said...

Starr,

I hate the flute actually, but I love Ian Anderson.

Terrence,

It dragged for you probably because you didn't know 98% of the songs and because the windage really fucked the sound. Last line is harsh, bro. Ouch.