Key To Music Grades

A - You will never be whole without it
B - Highly recommended
C - Flawed, but still pretty good
D - It's your money, not mine
F - Why couldn't this have been burned in Fahrenheit 451?

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Muse - Absolution (2003)












You've got to hand it to these fellows; for being a mere trio, they create a wallop of a sound, yet they verge so close to pure camp that it's a wonder they don't occasionally trip over it. The album's first song proper, "Apocalypse Please," sounds exactly how it would seem, a stomping piano melody amidst a swath of synth backdrop and wailing vocals. Don't ask me about the lyrics because I don't really pay too much attention to that sort of thing, although it seems as though there is a point to it all. But while I care little for lyrics, I certainly don't fudge on vocals. I like Matt Bellamy. Not the best I've heard, but he's damned good and surely worth his bundle of Ukrainian maps. "Sing For Absolution" is a fairly good showcase of some of his operatic versatility, among other things. Did I mention he's also the guitarist and pianist/keyboardist? That's not knocking the bassist or drummer, who play some meaty stuff and wouldn't sound the same without them, but Bellamy is obviously way into music. I mean, as you are hearing the awesomeness that is "Butterflies And Hurricanes," who the fuck expects a classical piano interlude in the middle of it? And if I've mentioned "piano" too much in this review for my fellow rocker fiends, let me flip a bitch and discuss "Stockholm Syndrome," which features possibly one of Muse's best guitar riffs. Fucking tastiness. What I especially love about this song is the seeming unity of the guitar solo to the main melody. Usually solos gargle and noodle and go for the jugular to impress, but this one, while not extravagant, is quite the nicety. What else? "Endlessly" and "Falling Away With You" are beautiful songs. I think "Blackout" and "Time Is Running Out" are songs from the band's earlier years I'm sad to see still around. But otherwise, excellent album. Play it loud. B+

4 comments:

Cinnamon Girl said...

I like to describe Muse as "Crunchy." =)

Jeff said...

Origins, Absolution, and Black Holes are all ridiculously incredibe. My favorite would depend on the day you're asking me. The chaotic opening to Aboslution is so great, and the album doesn't let up one bit all the way through.

Anonymous said...

Starr,

Crunchy is a great word. I think "Butterflies and Hurricanes" sums them up, though. They go from extremely heavy riffage to some very beautiful melodies.

Jeff,

I like Origins too, but the latter half is kind of weak to me. It doesn't sustain throughout like Black Holes or Absolution does. Absolution is probably their most fluid album.

BigVoltaBalls said...

funny thing, I was watching the second trailer for The Watchmen and who do i hear in the background? none other than "take a bow" from as you know black holes and revelations. from there I decided to check to see if you reviewed anything new, and lookie here you reviewed Absolution. good shit. oh and Stockholm Syndrome blows my balls outta the water. peace bro. call tomorrow when you want us to call you! If i dont talk to you happy thanksgiving ya bum!