Key To Music Grades

A - You will never be whole without it
B - Highly recommended
C - Flawed, but still pretty good
D - It's your money, not mine
F - Why couldn't this have been burned in Fahrenheit 451?

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Talking Heads - Little Creatures (1985)












For being a band frequently described as inaccessible, this record surely has some nice stuff on it. No, I'm not a fan, and I don't concentrate nearly as hard as I do when listening to some of my other recurring faves, but this album is worth a listen every now and again. "And She Was" is a delicious little number that almost leads you into thinking it will remain the awful dreck that tainted nearly everything imaginable during the most egregious musical decade known to man or animal-- fuck you Depeche Mode; you give me daily nightmares -- but it doesn't. "Give Me Back My Name" is pretty creepy. I don't know if the Oxford lads from Radiohead listened to this and wrote "Climbing Up The Walls," but I'm still unsettled by both. "Creatures Of Love" is an alien twang song that somehow works. "I've seen sex and I think it's okay." Maybe it's the way David Byrne sings that ties it all together, I don't know. He's possibly the first lead vocalist who sounds like he's presiding over a demented circus that can somehow carry a tune. "Road To Nowhere" has what sounds like an accordion, I think. I like accordions; you should too. Eat your clam chowder. Ignore tracks 5-8 and enjoy otherwise. B-

4 comments:

bob_vinyl said...

This is probably my favorite Talking Heads album. It has all the quirkiness without the quirkiness getting in the way.

Anonymous said...

That quirkiness is what makes me less inclined to praise their previous albums, not that this one is mind-blowing, but I do like it.

RAHM said...

several years ago in Lima I saw David Byrne, and He played "Road to nowhere" it was espectacular, and all the people singing... hey!

Anonymous said...

Rahm,

I wish I had time to see half the people I like. Live (mostly) makes everything better.