Key To Music Grades

A - You will never be whole without it
B - Highly recommended
C - Flawed, but still pretty good
D - It's your money, not mine
F - Why couldn't this have been burned in Fahrenheit 451?

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Frank Sinatra - It Might As Well Be Swing (1964)













A few admonitions: I don't review collections or compilations; Sinatra simply has too many releases (even without compilations) to account for; I am less knowledgeable of voice than I am music, so expect less depth in my musings; and lastly, Sinatra has more or less a perfect voice, thereby leaving his work not so much to be critiqued from a vocal perspective, but from that of song selection and musical accompaniment. With that, let me begin by saying that Count Basie is a fine choice for musical accompaniment, keeping a light swagger throughout the selections, be they mid-tempo swing numbers ("Wives And Lovers"; "I Wish You Love") to more lively romps ("I Believe In You"; "Hello, Dolly!"). Frank is in form himself, to the surprise of none, belting out his styled phrasings without so much a strain. He even improvises a different verse for 'ol Satchmo in "Hello, Dolly!" My choice cuts are "Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words)" and "The Best Is Yet To Come," but I believe Frank's overall playful exuberance and enjoyment enhances the remaining performances. This is not to say, though, that there isn't a feeling of sameness. "I Can't Stop Loving You," "I Wanna Be Around" and "The Good Life" are throwaways for me, and possibly why this album isn't absolutely jaw-dropping. Overalll, it's a good listen, but not entirely great. B-

No comments: